Saturday, November 22, 2008

Spectra-tacular

I have come across a couple of cool new things from MSNBC. No it isn't Keith Olbermann and Rachel Maddow, though they both kick some serious bootay. It is Spectra and NewsSkimmer.

Spectra mashes news headlines with almost as many colors as a Crayola 64 box holds. Under each main headline box are sub categories. For example under Health, that is shaded a sky blue, are subjects such as, Women's Health, Men's Health, and Sexual Health. And for each subject you pick, you get the top 10 stories of the day. As you pick the news categories you are interested in, 10 seperate colored boxes fly into middle of the screen, and begin to slowly rotate, like debris caughty up in a fat, florid tornado.

If I am not careful I can end up picking almost every topic and sub-topic. In which case it can take me an hour or more to scan through and pick out the stories I want to read. Of course all the stories are found at MSNBC's web site.

NewsSkimmer is a screen saver that "saturates your idling computer with news-filled color." And saturate it does. The screen is filled with a undulating wave of color and news. You can pick what ever news topics strike your fancy and when your computer goes to screen sve mode your news headlines come a popping out of the vibrant multicolored wave.

This screen saver seems like a good idea, however when my computer goes into screen save mode I am not usually there to see it. So even though I have downloaded this app to my laptop, I haven't actually seen much of it. Maybe others will find it more useful.





Powered by ScribeFire.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: