Thursday, November 20, 2008

If You Are a Procrastinating Writer this may help

Dr. Wicked has come up with an app to help writers who would rather do anything else but write. There are several modes available to encourage writers to stop wishing and start doing. I tried out Normal and Kamikaze modes. I purposefully didn't write my goal of 10 words. After waiting for the time goal to count down the 10 minutes I so generously allotted myself, nothing happened. There were claims of being subjected to the "evil sounds" of Rick Ashley and Hanson. Or if I did not type my 10 words the app would "unwrite" any work that was completed. I waited to experience this new form of Rick-Rolling. In the end I was left disappointed. I was not Rick-Rolled nor was I unwritten.

However I liked the app. It helped me to get some writing done. I was able to separate the act of writing from the act of editing. I often have trouble doing this. Plus I was able to concentrate on writing, instead of finding any and all distractions to deal with.

If you use Dr. Wicked's Write or Die web app I would suggest opening up OpenOffice Writer, or whatever software you use to write, first. This way you can cut and paste whatever you have written and not lose any of it. However, if you forget to do this, the app does ask if you want to save to your clip board when you try to close it.

So if you are like me and procastinate on the writing front, or you just want to get Rick-Rolled in a new way, then check out Write or Die.


Powered by ScribeFire.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: